In the shop: a carnation revival


I know what you are thinking. Mention the word carnation and you can see the scorn in most peoples faces almost immediately. Carnations aren't cool, right? they're oldfashioned, they're ugly. They are boring.

Thing is though, they really aren't. They aren't any of those things. Well, maybe you can argue oldfashioned, since they've certainly been available as a cut bloom for ages. But ugly? I disagree, and I'm willing to at least try to win you over on this, and on them being cool.

Thing is, there are some really gorgeous varieties of carnations on the market right now. Antique, muted faded tones that are blousey and frilly in all the right ways.


I truly think that if you love the ruffles and full bloom of a peony or a garden rose, then you need to give the humble carnation a second look. And definitely a second smell, because these beauties actually smell like heaven, a clove scented subtle perfume that will win you over if nothing else will.

I'm with you on plain jane white or red carnations. they don't thrill me either. But if you just look at a single carnation bloom, really taking in the fluttery petals and the delicate frills, putting out of your mind the actual name of the flower you are looking at......I think that you may find you are falling a little in love.

Comments

Popular Posts